Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Next Step

One of my favorite memories from college was when my dear friend dragged me on a 22 mile backpacking trip through Death Valley. This being my very first backpacking trip, with just the first few steps carrying the pack on my back, I made a dramatic “ugh” noise. As a watched the landscape change from reed marshes to grass fields dotted with hills to canyon walls, I was amazed at how easily the landscape changed with the simple placement of my feet.

Imagine how the great pioneer women must have felt crossing the continental United States! They probably felt worn down and weary at times, but they pushed through. Thanks to my friend Lindsay’s mother, I now have a yellow sun bonnet (matched only in greatness by Lindsay’s green sun bonnet.) Clearly, I now have the wardrobe to move forward once again.

I feel changed by the heart wrenching (and sometimes gut-wrenching…literally) experiences I’ve been fortunate enough to feel my way through.  In a way, I am grateful for them because they make me feels alive. Like my spirit is lighting up and growing.

That’s all a bit abstract, I know, so let's commence with some concrete Benin adventures! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You may be doing this one step at a time but I can see the progress even from here. Those you meet on the journey will have to smile when they come across the California girl in her sunbonnet.

    ReplyDelete