Saturday, August 27, 2011

To the village!

About 2 weeks ago, I sped away in a bus on the rough roads of Benin: Twas a journey north, to the center of Benin known as the hilly regions or Les Collines. Also on the bus were the diecteur of the school I will be working at and my counterpart, a fellow english teacher. We were bound for my village, whiwh is a 15 minutes motorcycle ride away from GlazouĂ©, a big market town and probably the closest town that you'll find on a map. When I got to my village I was struck by how tranquil and calm it was. No paved roads, no electricity, and surrounded by fields of rice, yams, PEANUTS, and corn. I'm not gonna lie, it was a bit startling at first to arrive in the village and think "oh my shnap! This is small." 

But the world has it's ways and the very night of my arrival I fell sick with a malady that I can only describe as a small monster living in my intestinal track, doing acrobatics and causing me to run to the latrine, which was a good 3 mintues walk away. 3 minutes is forever when a monster is inside you. Is that too much information? Sorry 'bout it; Not sorry 'bout it!

Anyways, so my host family who I stayed with for the post visit grew very alarmed at my unwillingness to eat and my sicklynature in general, so at 22h00 they decide to take me to the local hospital, despite my vehement protests. Alas, they persuaded me to go and after waking up the nurses and convinving them not to give me a shot, I got some medicine and started to fall in love with the village. The nurses were hilarious and super friendly with me, even when I became delirious and started saying weird-mariah things. And my host family was so caring.

The next day I woke up feeling 100 times better; the sun was shining, little goats and piglets frolicked through the streets. Life was good.

The rest of my visit I spent trying to practice greetings in Idaatcha, the local language and I went out to the fields with my host family. It's so incredible to feel SO comforted and SO welcomed in a tiny village where I hardly know anyone, nor do I actually speak the language. I'm loving these vibes and look forward to officially moving in!

K, internet time is almost up! loveeee

4 comments:

  1. A pretty dramatic introduction for both you and your host family! They did take wonderful care of you. I located Glazoué on a map, and Les Collines sounds like a pretty region. Listening to "Land of Promise" while I read___and re-read your blogs makes me feel that much closer. Love you, Pat G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mariah, i'm hoping to volunteer in west africa soon. How hot is it in Benin? Is it hard to sleep b/c of heat? Thanks. My name's Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I'm a PCV in Cameroon and I will be COSing in December and then traveling W. Africa. I am trying to get in touch with PCVs along the way to stay with and get advice... My email is nickvalera@gmail.com; Thanks, Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello my Darling!!
    Please send me the address of your new home!!! I would love to send you some little goodies!! Love you so much and I'm so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete